Thursday, June 21, 2007

Baptism.

We just had a major thunderstorm roll through. I sensed it coming long before the first rumble -- I had a migraine today and had to call in sick -- but I'm glad I was feeling better by the time it actually arrived.

Today is Litha, the Summer Solstice, and the longest day of the year. How very fitting it was that I spontaneously decided that this storm was going to be my dedication to the earth.

I am terrified of electrical storms, but once the rain began falling I went to my back door and opened it, watching the torrential rain pour down amidst the flashes and rumbles of the storm. The urge to go skyclad was almost overpowering, but not as strong as the fear of electrocution and/or my neighbours seeing me (shelter on three sides was one too few).

Pagans all have different ways of initiating themselves, with different rituals, props, et cetera. As a solitary, I never got around to formally dedicating myself to my faith. So tonight I stood inside my back doorway, waiting for a break in the lightning, then walked out onto my back step in the pouring rain. I turned my face skyward and let the water wash over me as I closed my eyes and revelled in the moment. I stood there as long as I dared, cupping my hands to catch the rain, concentrating, visualizing, grounding myself. Then a flash of lightning sent me scurrying back inside the doorway.

Now I am sitting here with wet hair and wet clothes and a big silly grin on my face. And I can still smell the lilacs and rain.

Life is damn good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This feels like a major milestone for you, and I couldn't be happier for you. Congratulations!

-L-