Friday, November 5, 2004

Gotta Tune Out!

My head is vibrating. My heart is racing, and I feel as if I’ve just dodged a bullet. But nothing has happened to me. I am not in any mortal danger. It’s just that I’m in a room with about twenty people, all of them fired-up about a very contentious issue, and, emotional sponge that I am, I’m soaking in much more than I can reasonably process.

So I’m curled-up on one of the plush burgundy leather sofas, MP3 player playing, with headphones firmly stuck in my ears. I really enjoy most of the people I work with, but tapping into all of their emotions at once is just more than I can handle. It’s as if they’re all screaming at me at the top of their lungs, even though most of them probably don’t even realize I’m here.

I've really, really got to learn how to shield myself from this.

No comments: