Wednesday, July 7, 2004

In the category of “meant to be” …

I found myself taking a very long bus ride today – six hours to be exact. As I was sitting, bleary-eyed at the bus station at 7 AM, I was planning on doing nothing but sleeping the entire way. But clearly something else was meant to happen.

As I was sitting there, waiting for them to load the bus, I spotted an old high school friend waiting for the same bus. I hadn’t seen him in 16 years, so this was great! We had lots of catching up to do! The first part of the trip went by very, very quickly as a result.

The best part of all, however, is that two hours into the odyssey, I was “given” a tremendous gift – it turns out he’s Wiccan. Having spent much of the last few weeks feeling like a lone soul lost in the wilderness, it was like arriving at a party. We talked about everything you could imagine, including the parallels between closeted homosexuals and closeted pagans, solitary versus coven … you name it, we talked about it. It was great to see him again, but I can’t tell you how rejuvenated I felt to have someone like-minded to talk to (and how sad I was to watch him get off at a stop halfway before my destination).

Given the fiasco I had last night, trying to catch a bus that didn’t exist, and winding up on that bus today, he and I both agreed that this was a reunion that was meant to happen.

No comments: