Wednesday, June 2, 2004

Potential ...

Looking out my window, I can see that this morning holds the potential for my favourite kind of day.

No, no – not brilliant sunshine illuminiating everything like a 100-watt lightbulb. My favourite day is definitely more muted, more subtle. I like the fog, the mist, hanging like a veil.

I used to joke with visitors to my city that if you lived here, you either learned to love the fog and mist, or you learned to be depressed a lot of the time. I guess I went with the former (although my recent posts here may cause you to question that – *grin*).

Nothing in this world makes me happier than walking along a historic brick-lined street, completely shorouded in the mist. I love the cool feeling against my face, as if it is brushing against me. I love the way I can feel myself breathing it in, as if I’m becoming one with it. It is such a calming experience for me.

You can keep your sunshine. It makes me squint and encourages crows-feet. Give me a thick misty day any day, and I’m a happy girl.

No comments: