Friday, June 4, 2004

Just After Midnight …

… and I ought to be getting to bed. But I am really, really hyped at the moment, so there’s no point in tossing and turning. No need to wake up hubby, which is what I will surely do if I go to bed before I can go to sleep.

I’m not really one for goodbyes. In fact, I hate them. But being given the choice between being the one leaving and being the one left behind, I’ll take the leaving anyday. You don’t feel the emptiness that way.

It’s graduation time again, and I don’t know where the time has gone. It seems as if it were still September, and I was only just noticing which faces I no longer saw gracing the hallways. Now another set is ready to take flight. I know that I will be just as attached to next year’s grad class as I am to this one, and I know that there are still so many great kids to come. But I still don’t like goodbyes.

Looking at my yearbook that the kids signed, though, makes me feel better. In what limited time I have with them, I try to let the kids know that each and every one of them matter. I try to reach them as best I can. And looking through the yearbook and seeing what they’ve written, I can tell that I have succeeded. And I am so proud of them, I could just burst.

Now if I could just stop getting misty-eyed every ten seconds, we’d be all set. :)

No comments: