Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's getting stuffy in here.

I'm starting to resent being in the broom closet. I know that it's the responsible place to be, given that I don't want to freak people out, and that I have no job security. I also don't really want to see first-hand what happens when friends who don't understand suddenly become the first to gather kindling for a stake. But still ...

I filled in for a teacher on Monday who had both a Bible and an Anglican Book of Common Prayer on her desk. She is a woman of strong Christian faith, and always wearing a cross around her neck. I am always happy to see people who know what they do or don't believe. But I don't think it belongs in a public school. Not from someone in a position of authority. Kids should be able to make up their own minds, or at least follow their family's teachings as long as they want to.

I'm sure this teacher does not preach to her students, and that if she uses the Bible in class it is only to analyze literary allusions. But how do our Muslim students feel about that book being there? Our Jewish students? Our atheist students?

Even if my faith were more mainstream and accepted, I don't think I'd wear my pentacle in public. For me, my faith is a very personal thing, something to be kept close and only shared with people with whom I would share my most intimate thoughts. But maybe that's just me.

I know I'm rambling, running in circles. I guess all I'm trying to say is that in school, it should be all or nothing. Include all faiths or leave religion out of schools altogether. If she can wear her cross, I should be able to wear my pentacle without trepidation or possible persecution.

It's not like I'm asking to go sky-clad or anything. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If not at work,then *when* are you going sky-clad? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)